HOW TO EFFECTIVELY SCREEN YOUR PROSPECTIVE TENANTS
Knowing your tenants before handing over the keys is important. Below is a step by step guide on how to effectively screen your prospective tenants, so you can find the answers for the common tenant screening questions.
Set Your Acceptance Criteria:
- Before you start allowing applicants to apply its vital to have your qualifications & acceptance criteria in place.
Signed & Completed Rental Application & Consent Authorization Form:
- The first step to screen your tenants is having a completed rental application along with a signed consent & authorization form which allows you, the landlord/property manager, to run a credit check along with other reports.
Review Application, Verify Residency & Employment:
- Once you have the signed rental application & consent form, you need to review the details in the application. Items such as income, debt, & proposed rent can help you identify the limits to set for Rent to Income ratios.
- Verify their current & past landlords
- Verify employment
- Contact personal references
Order a Credit, Eviction and/or Criminal Background check
- Make sure your not moving in someone who can endanger the property and/or the neighborhood
- Reduce the risk of evicting your tenants
- Reduce the risk of damage to your property
- Reduce the risk of loss rent
Tenants sign your lease forms
- If your applicant is approved, the lessee will need to sign your lease agreement along with any addendum's you may have
TECHNOLOGY THAT HELPS AUTOMATE ALL OF THESE TASKS